January 15, 2016

Project 2016



Ah, a new year - bright and shiny and full of possibility...
I don't know about you, but I always begin the year with the best intentions. THIS year I'll be more organised. THIS year I'll stay on top of the housework/washing/cooking/(insert everyday mundane task here) AND I won't waste an entire day browsing Pinterest or Instagram...

How long does it last? Usually a few weeks if I'm extra diligent. The beginning of January here in Australia is still the summer school holidays, and to be honest, I just don't want to be doing much except lazing around the pool with my kids.

But, both my son and daughter are moving on to different schools this year and with just under a fortnight left before they start, I seriously need to get them and myself organised. They'll have different routines, different transport arrangements, different extra-curricular activities - the list goes on. Plus the house has accumulated all the usual clutter that accompanies the recent holiday period.
We're all going to need new systems and it's going to be chaotic for a while.


And so, I've labelled this year as Project 2016.
I don't expect organisation to happen overnight. I'm a procrastinator at heart and a stubborn Capricorn to boot. I don't do change well. Neither does my 9 year old son. My 12 year old daughter is a free spirit who struggles to adhere to any system at all, and my poor husband is just fed up with all the clutter.

Our philosophy is to live more simply. Get rid of that which we don't use. Make do with what we have. Make time for what is important. Create routines and stick to them.

If this sounds like something you'd like to join me with, then you might like my new Project 2016 series. Subscribing ensures you get all posts delivered straight to your inbox, and feel free to add any tips you might have in the comments section below.

What are you planning to change this year?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, I'm subscribing right after I send this message because we are going through a similar purge of clutter over here at our abode. We've accumulated way to much clutter, which also has added to the mental clutter, and it needs to go. Thus far this year, I've taken one-half a ton of stuff out of my home...it's been so invigorating.
    Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and seeing your progress.

    Happy Day, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie, I was so glad to find another blogger in Brisbane, Queensland! I live halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast and in the throes of moving to a small home on the Gold Coast. As the saying goes, the beach is my happy place. I was happy to read that you are simplifying your life as this is me also. Simplifying, recycling and repurposing is my mantra. I've only started blogging and it has been a real learning curve for me. Anyway I love your blog and will be checking in again soon

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.